Chromebooks - kicking the hornet's nest



Google Groups Home

Will ChromeBooks Die Off Early
 11 messages - Collapse all  -  
sege122  
View profile  
 More options Sep 11, 10:35 pm
I have been thinking about buying a Chromebook. For most people it's
an investment if you are using your own money.
So I have been regularly reading these pages and looking at videos and
I came across this worthy contender for a reasonable enthusiastic
critique.
The presenter aint cool - neither am I if truth be told - but he has
paid his cash for the product and seems to love it. The points he
seems to be making do need addressing....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0D532uZkXA&feature=related
Steve
    Reply     Reply to author      Forward        
Wardog  
View profile  
 More options Sep 11, 10:58 pm

Steve, that is a funny video, but the author is not very well informed.  If
he had asked a Google ninja or asked in this help group like you did, he
would understand. Instead he made a video and embarrassed himself with his
lack of knowledge.
He has 3 things he did not no like about the Chromebook.
1. Pepper flash is the default
2. No Java
3. 100 mb data plan of Verizon is too likely.
1. Pepper flash is set inside the sandbox and is very secure.  External
webcam issue will be solved.
2. Java has security holes.  His objection is lack of remote desktop that
uses Java.  Teamviewer and Logmein remote desktop work. VPN is
enabled. Chromoting is coming.
3. The author has not tested because he is testing from UK but objecting to
something in US. You can buy additional data when the 100 mb runs out. 
    Reply     Reply to author      Forward        
Dan Stormont  
View profile  
 More options Sep 11, 11:22 pm

Steve,
I'd have to say he's pretty much spot on.  Part of the problem is that
Chrome OS is still in its infancy, so the Pepper Flash issue, for example,
is being addressed.  The lack of a Java VM is a much bigger issue and the
guy in the video is right that there is no reason that a Pepper Open JVM
plugin couldn't be created for Chrome OS - that would resolve a huge number
of the issues people have with the Chromebooks right now.  As for the data
plans, yes, he's right that the 100MB per month is nothing more than
emergency connectivity and won't really keep you "always on" with your
Chromebook.  The data plan bundle in the UK is even worse, since it is
nothing more than a starter plan for the first quarter you own your
Chromebook. However, the hardware is there in the 3G Chromebooks (which is
what you're really paying for, anyhow), so there's nothing stopping you from
getting a SIM from the carrier that gives you the best deal (or tethering to
your phone or using a mobile hotspot).  His last point is probably his best,
though.  I too would like to see a roadmap for Chrome OS.  I'm still not
certain just how committed Google is to the Chromebooks.  There's been a lot
of talk about Chromeboxes and corporate and educational leasing programs,
but there is no target date I've seen for the Chromebox and it's anyone's
guess how well the leasing program is going.  I'd hate to see Chromebooks
dropped like Wave or Google Labs when I've become so invested in the project
and its success. 
    Reply     Reply to author      Forward        
Selden  
View profile  
 More options Sep 11, 11:57 pm

Like Android telephones, Chromebooks have been off to a somewhat rocky
start, but look where Android has ended up. *IF* Google continues to support
and develop Chrome OS, I see no reason to worry. But, it's very difficult to
predict the future:  look what happened with the HP TouchPad. 
    Reply     Reply to author      Forward        
JLakad  
View profile  
 More options Sep 12, 3:45 am

Selden & Dan
Part of the problem I see is Google has already changed their direction for
the Chromebook.  When the Chromebook first came out it was to be a
replacement eventually for the Windows PCs.  
Then it became and still is considered a supplement for your Windows PC.
 Only problem is right now the Ipad is the clear choice as a supplementary
device, followed by Android tablet then lagging are the netbooks and
Chromebooks.  
Additionally Microsoft is taking steps to meet the Google Chromebook,
reports have Windows 8 booting in 20 seconds.  I expect the OS to be more
locked down like the Chrome OS.  And I would not doubt if they give you the
option to boot up in IE and run programs from IE.  Microsoft is not going to
wait until Google sells a million of the Chrome OS notebooks before they
act.
As far as Java, don't forget Citrix.  
And they still need local printing, the cloud printing option is still hit
and miss.  If my Windows PC running Google Chrome hibernates and then I
bring it out of hibernation, no print from Google cloud printing.  Not sure
why? 
    Reply     Reply to author      Forward        
Rohit Malik  
View profile  
 More options Sep 12, 4:41 am

Google Labs is just labs & Wave was just a wave! hehe! Both the products
were experimental while chromebook is an actual product available in the
market with a great concept & decent fan following even in the initial
days.
So, i'm sure that it's time is coming! 
    Reply     Reply to author      Forward        
G. Hussain Chinoy  
View profile  
 More options Sep 12, 6:51 am

Wardog, Dan and Selden have addressed the guys points, but I just want to
say that I'm quite impressed he made a video about his feedback.
Maybe we should coordinate a "make an intro about your chromebook" video
month (I know a bunch of folks have done some great unboxings already)?
I do like his point about the roadmap, though I don't mind a bit of caution
in introducing Chromebooks to a corporate audience.
I thought it was funny that he wanted them sexier. Halloween is coming up,
maybe there're some alluring appliques that'll solve that concern? 
    Reply     Reply to author      Forward        
Alex Turner  
View profile  
 More options Sep 12, 12:17 pm
Nope - I am not cool. Never tried to be!
Thanks for posting about my video though :)
On Sep 11, 10:35 pm, sege122 wrote:


> I have been thinking about buying a Chromebook. For most people it's
> an investment if you are using your own money.
> So I have been regularly reading these pages and looking at videos and
> I came across this worthy contender for a reasonable enthusiastic
> critique.
> The presenter aint cool - neither am I if truth be told - but he has
> paid his cash for the product and seems to love it. The points he
> seems to be making do need addressing....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0D532uZkXA&feature=related
> Steve
    Reply     Reply to author      Forward  
Alex Turner  
View profile  
 More options Sep 12, 12:21 pm
Hi,
You are wrong on all counts!
1) I object to peper flash being on by default. Saying that it will
come right - is my point - it not being right now is causing bad press
for Chromebooks.
2) Logmein and teamviewer work - but not well enough. Chromemoting is
coming - great - but that is not obvious enough - no roadmap - when?
All points I made.
3) Yes - you can buy more data - but 100MB is far to small and so
gives a bad image to the product.
It is you who has embarrassed  yourself my friend by making a gut
reaction to a carefullly thought through commentary.
- AJ
On Sep 11, 10:58 pm, Wardog wrote:


> Steve, that is a funny video, but the author is not very well informed.  If
> he had asked a Google ninja or asked in this help group like you did, he
> would understand. Instead he made a video and embarrassed himself with his
> lack of knowledge.
> He has 3 things he did not no like about the Chromebook.
> 1. Pepper flash is the default
> 2. No Java
> 3. 100 mb data plan of Verizon is too likely.
> 1. Pepper flash is set inside the sandbox and is very secure.  External
> webcam issue will be solved.
> 2. Java has security holes.  His objection is lack of remote desktop that
> uses Java.  Teamviewer and Logmein remote desktop work. VPN is
> enabled. Chromoting is coming.
> 3. The author has not tested because he is testing from UK but objecting to
> something in US. You can buy additional data when the 100 mb runs out.
    Reply     Reply to author      Forward  
Alex Turner  
View profile  
 More options Sep 12, 12:23 pm
My point - we need a Roadmap and commitment. I think a market is
happen to accept rough edges to start with if the product producer
stands behind fixing the issues. Look at Windows Vista!
On Sep 11, 11:57 pm, Selden wrote:


> Like Android telephones, Chromebooks have been off to a somewhat rocky
> start, but look where Android has ended up. *IF* Google continues to support
> and develop Chrome OS, I see no reason to worry. But, it's very difficult to
> predict the future:  look what happened with the HP TouchPad.
    Reply     Reply to author      Forward  
Alex Turner  
View profile  
 More options Sep 12, 12:26 pm
Sexy is important. Most geeks want to show off. If - like me - the
chances of people finding you physically alluring is limited - then
cool hardware is the way to go. If Google can make Chromebooks cool
then they will sell a lot more of them.
- AJ
PS - if you had not guessed yet - I made the video :)
On Sep 12, 6:51 am, G. Hussain Chinoy wrote:


> Wardog, Dan and Selden have addressed the guys points, but I just want to
> say that I'm quite impressed he made a video about his feedback.
> Maybe we should coordinate a "make an intro about your chromebook" video
> month (I know a bunch of folks have done some great unboxings already)?
> I do like his point about the roadmap, though I don't mind a bit of caution
> in introducing Chromebooks to a corporate audience.
> I thought it was funny that he wanted them sexier. Halloween is coming up,
> maybe there're some alluring appliques that'll solve that concern?
    Reply     Reply to author      Forward  
End of messages